Thursday, January 17, 2013

Embossing the Box Art

If you have ever purchased one of our games in a retail store, chances are the game came with a cardboard box wrap-around...or, as we call them in our office, an "O-card".


If you tilt the box in the light, and rub your finger over the front, you can see and feel the bumps of the raised image (or "relief"). This process is called embossing, and creates a sort of new dimension to the illustration.

Here we have one of the embossing plates used for this process. When we press the card stock (that is to become the box) in between these two plates and apply pressure, the card stock is then imprinted and voila! You are left with a marvelous box design! Note: This plate in particular is one of the few that actually embossed the boxes. There is a chance that this very one embossed your game!

~Little Jackalope~

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

That's really cool! I love the feel of the boxes I have. Like my new one,trail of a twister. I think embosing the boxes would be a fun,or rather,easy job!

From me,
Silvertongue.

Future Animator said...

Not to complain or anything, but why don't you put the embossed cases on the pre-order versions?

Hey! We finally got snow!!:D A whole 2 inches!!

Hannah said...

Wow! More behind the scenes info! I'm so excited!

I have a question though... why does it have the number 9 written on it? It wasn't the 9th game. Was it your 9th try at getting the stamp to look right?

-Drew Detective (Hannah)

Little Jackalope said...

@Future HeR Animator -- The embossed boxes were for retail stores, to make them more attractive. Yay snow!!! We don't have any of that white stuff yet. :(

@Hannah -- Haha! No, there were 9 plates that would stamp out a sheet of card stock at one time. It took a small team of plates to do the job. ;) This was the 9th one.

@Silvertongue -- I haven't seen the process, but I think watching how the die cut design would be cool! (When the plates are being made from a mold).

Katie said...

I have a bunch of games that have the Embossed box art, and I think that you should make the games that you guys ship out look really attractive too! ;) Just a thought, but it would make my collection look more complete.